Stephen G. Sforza
Stephen joined Lawson, Clark & Oldman Professional Corporation as an associate lawyer in May of 2016 and he has become an integral part of the firm. He holds a law degree from Osgoode Hall Law School and completed his undergraduate studies at Queen's University, earning his Honours Bachelor of Arts degree and graduating magna cum laude.
While Stephen assists the firm in each of its core practice areas, his primary focus is on corporate and commercial law, where he is a trusted legal advisor to solo entrepreneurs, real estate investors, small and mid-sized businesses, and commercial landlords and tenants. His client-centered approach, combined with his developed knowledge and expertise, enables him to provide business clients with strategic, practical and tailored business law advice and cost-effective legal solutions.
Stephen has gained significant legal and industry experience in both private practice and policy development settings in Toronto. He has worked for non-profit corporations in the securities industry, interned in the in-house legal department of a large, public oil and gas company, and was a summer law student at a Toronto-based law firm practicing in various areas of law. However, being a native of the Durham Region, Stephen always planned on returning to the community in which he grew up, and now he proudly provides his services to the local clientele.
During law school, Stephen was awarded the Shin Doi and Benda Prize in Legal Drafting and completed the highly-competitive Intensive Program in Business Law. He also held leadership roles and was a contributing member on various law school associations, including the Real Estate Law Association, the Osgoode Law Italian-Canadian Association and the Business Law Society.
Stephen currently writes monthly articles on various legal topics. They can be found in the Retail Pages monthly publication, in print and online here: www.retailpages.ca.
In his spare time, Stephen enjoys maintaining a highly active and healthy lifestyle. He plays competitive level soccer and consistently works on his personal fitness. He is also an avid Toronto sports fan, following Toronto FC and the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Recent Work Highlights Include:
- Acted for mid-sized industrial services company in its purchase of commercial property, with specific attention to minimizing client's potential liability for environmental risks related to the property;
- Represented corporate shareholder in its purchase of shares in the capital of a construction and home renovation company, and redrafted the related shareholders' agreement, being cognizant of the client's position as a minority shareholder;
- Assisted in the corporate reorganization and succession planning of a long-time family-owned business;
- Acted for a corporate purchaser in a share purchase transaction involving a veterinary clinic;
- Advised purchasers on their termination rights in respect to their new home agreement with a failing builder and successfully obtained the return of their deposits;
- Assisted client in the private sale of his mixed-use multi-million dollar property;
- Acted for corporate client in commercial loan and mortgage refinancing deal involving various forms of security;
- Redrafted shareholders' agreement for owners of a hair salon to better establish the shareholders' rights and obligations;
- Reviewed private offer of a commercial property and multiple commercial leases and advised on the purchase of a church property on behalf of a charitable corporation;
- Assisted corporate client in structuring its security on its large loan to a corporate borrower in manner that most effectively minimized creditor risk;
- Advised multiple co-owners of real estate on the most equitable and tax-efficient manner to structure their co-ownership via a co-ownership agreement with a view to succession planning.
Professional Associations and Memberships:
Law Society of Upper Canada
Durham Region Law Association